OUR FAMILY TRADITION
The Heinz family’s glassmaking tradition goes back to 1523. That of the HEINZ-GLAS company dates back some 400 years to 1622. Today HEINZ-GLAS is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and finishers of glass flacons and caps for the perfume and cosmetics industry. The key to our success? Our roots are here and we are strongly grounded. This knowledge of where we come from shows us where we are going. And it works – thanks to the tireless commitment of 15 generations of the Heinz family and their loyal employees.
He joined the company in 1976, and had to assume sole management in 1977 after the much too early death of his father Adolf. He has accomplished a lot since then and grown the company into a globally active corporate group.
Far-sighted entrepreneurial expertise and targeted investments under Carl-August Heinz contributed to the success of Heinz-Glas und Plastics on the international packaging market.
However, Carl-Aug. Heinz wanted above all to make a contribution to the reunification of Germany, which is the reason why he already became involved in the nearby Thuringian small glassworks in Piesau and purchased it completely in 1991. Since then he has expanded it into a company – which is internationally competitive.
Personally, Carl-Aug. Heinz works in a marketing study group for improving the site conditions for the Thuringian-Franconian Rennsteig region and founded a non-profit foundation with the goal of promoting education, job training, conservation, environmental protection and protection of animals in his native region.
Together with three fellow students, she founded CityHunters GbR in 2010, which was the result of their participation in a University start-up competition. She has had sole responsibility for the areas of financial accounting, controlling, tax and payroll since the company was founded.
Since December 2013, Carletta has been working in the HEINZ-GLAS Group and is learning the ropes as a management trainee, supported by her father Carl-August Heinz and also the Group CEO, Jens Plachetka. In the future, she plans to follow her father at the helm of the business and help the HEINZ-GLAS Group achieve further progress as a family-owned business.
Together with their faithful employees, the brothers succeeded in starting operations in a branch plant in Schleiden/ Eifel in 1949. This was the establishment of Heinz Plastics (in 1955) and the modern expansion of the parent company in Kleintettau (especially thanks to an IS series machine 1962 and a completely electric glass melt tank 1971).
Since 1990, she has been a permanent member of the Foundation Council (formerly advisory board) of HEINZ-GLAS Group. In addition to this, she has been a co-managing director of a number of holdings and financial companies within the group since 1990 and contributes in this way to maintaining the corporate group as a family-run company.
The company was managed in this critical time by Ludwig Philipp Heinz, who was seriously injured in WW I, but was saved by a lucky coincidence and a fellow soldier from his hometown (with the last name Heinz!). Due to the fact that his brother Heinrich had already died before the war, Ludwig Philipp had to face the challenges alone. In the following years, he developed the glassworks into the first semi-automatic operation in the Rennsteig region.
The successful development of the company was then seriously effected by World War II. There was a brief mandatory shutdown in 1943 but despite this, the first completely automatic machine for glass working was introduced in 1943.
Ludwig Philipp Heinz was named the first honorary citizen of the municipality of Kleintettau on the occasion of his 80th birthday in 1957.